Tuesday, February 16, 2010

you can only trust debtors

… another innovation of the early twentieth century: consumer debt. As Jackson Lears has argued, through the installment plan previously unthinkable acquisitions become thinkable, and more than thinkable: it became normal to carry debt. The display of a new car bought on installment became a sign that one was trustworthy. In a whole sale transformation of the old Puritan moralism, expressed by Benjamin Franklin (admittedly no Puritan) with the motto “Be frugal and free,” the early twentieth century saw the moral legitimitation of spending.

~ Matthew Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Not only do we have moral legitimitation for debt, but we also have institutional legitimitation. Matt and I have been entangled in paperwork as we’ve tried to establish his credit score. Every credit card application has resulted in rejection, not because Matt has bad credit, but because he has no credit. He’s a poor candidate for credit because he has never had a debt before.


*That being said, with the recent recession and growing concerns for the environment, debt and spending are beginning to take on different moral meanings.

5 comments:

Jaeyde said...

on the issue of not having a credit history - I agree... idiotic that someone who *has* carried debt (even if responsibly) is seen as more trustworthy, more credible than someone who hasn't is ridiculous.

I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago. Had to have my dad as a co-owner on the credit card. Even now, my credit history, while good, is so short that when Nate and I applied for a joint credit card, we had to set him as the owner and me as just a subsidary on the card. :/

Unknown said...

i had the same problem. 8 rejections.
look for a way in to certain credit unions like "former [industry] worker's credit union". When I called to sign up, they took my credit application in the same phone call and i had a regular credit card, entirely in my name, within a week.

l e i g h c i a said...

Thanks for the tips! We're supposed to submit all this additional paperwork for Matt to be added to my account.... but we haven't gotten around to it.... It's such a pain.

Nicholas said...

My freshman year of college I was offered a free 6-inch Subway sub. I found out upon arrival the sub required applying for a credit card. It was that hard.

Maybe you guys should get Subway.

l e i g h c i a said...

I guess we missed our window of opportunity. And our free subway! Man, life's hard!