Monday, August 24, 2009

what does it mean to own something?

As Matt and I adjust to renters and new neighbours, we wonder what it means for us to own a house, the pivotal piece of our private American dream. What does it mean to own something? Most would say that owning something entitles you to use it however you wish, as long as you do not harm anyone else or cross certain cultural taboos (e.g. sale of organs etc…).

But as with any concept, our understanding of ownership has been culturally determined. Nowhere is this more evident than our understanding of a corporation. Currently, a public corporation, or more precisely, a for-profit publicly-traded private company exists to increase shareholder value. What is owned serves solely the owner. And what is owned by the corporation must serve the owners of the corporation. But our understanding of corporations and of ownership was not always so, and many wish for a change.

From Habits of the Heart:

Henry Lee Higginson, a leading member of Boston’s business establishment, wrote in 1911, “I do not believe that, because a man owns property, it belongs to him to do with as he pleases. The property belongs to the community, and he has charge of it, and can dispose of it, if it is well done and not with the sole regard to himself or to his stockholders.”

~

The word [corporation] refers to any association of individuals bound together into a corpus, a body sharing a common purpose in a common name. In the past, that purpose had usually been communal or religious; boroughs, guilds, monasteries and bishoprics were the earliest European manifestations of the corporate form… It was assumed, as it is still in nonprofit corporations, that the incorporated body earned its charter by serving the public good… Until after the Civil War, indeed, the assumption was widespread that a corporate charter was a privilege to be granted only by a special act of a state legislature, and then for purposes clearly in the public interest. Incorporation was not yet thought of as a right available on application by any private enterprise.

~ Alan Trachtenberg

Reasserting the idea that incorporation is a concession of public authority to a private group in return for service to the public good, with effective public accountability, would change what is now called the “social responsibility of the corporation” from its present status, where it is often a kind of public relations whipped cream decorating the corporate pudding, to a constitutive structural element in the corporation itself. This, in turn, would involve a fundamental alteration in the role and training of the manager. Manager would become a profession in the older sense of the word, involving not merely standards of technical competence but standards of public obligation that could at moments of conflict override obligations to the corporate employer.

~

There’s a recently-created legal entity, known as the low-profit limited-liability company (L3C) that has been structured to be a business entity for the public good. While reading and hearing about the L3C, I was struck by how the language and the hype surrounding this new legal entity was rooted in pragmatism and lacked a greater moral vision.

The public good is privatized as L3C’s must “significantly further the accomplishment of one or more charitable or educational purposes,” as though “charitable or educational purposes” are but fragmented demands and desires of special interest groups. It is designed to attract program-related investments from foundations and hopefully obtain certain tax benefits.

I have yet to read anything that suggests the L3C could be part of building a moral vision of stewardship. (But if you do see anything, please let me know!) In fact, its very existence reinforces the idea that private companies and public corporations serve the private interests of their owners. That being said, I do commend the creators of the L3C for making a legal entity that could be a better vehicle for improving the common good.

Rather, what all this suggests is our collective poverty of language and imagination. We are caught in thinking in categories of for-profit, non-profit and government. And when we think about ownership, we are foolish enough to presume that our property really is ours.


*This was supposed to be a quotes-only post. Oops. I guess I like this topic a lot.

**It feels rather self-aggrandizing to bold your own text. I suppose they are my little delusions of grandeur in this little corner of the interweb. Alternatively, I could also argue that I bold text because I don't actually believe anyone will read this entire blog post...
***Sigh, time to make my mortgage payment. Ownership is only enjoyable when you get to exercise tyranny, not when you assume the liabilities.

4 comments:

Nicholas said...

I enjoy your own words roughly three times more than I enjoy the quotes. So I'm glad you filled them in!

I think I can go along with your picture of property belonging to community, but I don't think the practical ramifications are to my liking. I think of homeowners' associations in suburbia which assert which colors you are allowed to paint your door and all kinds of minutia for the sake of maintaining homogeneity and property values.

Codifying belonging to "community" leads to belonging to "government," and that jump is one with which I am uncomfortable making.

l e i g h c i a said...

I agree with you that not all manifestations of more common ownership turn out for the best. But I’m not sure I entirely understand how “belonging to the community” automatically translates into belonging to the government?

In any case, I don’t see why belonging to the government is intrinsically a bad thing. National parks and reservoirs often belong to the government and it’s only because they belong to the government that they have been preserved. Our houses may be owned by individuals in most cases, but our streets and our infrastructure are government-owned. In fact, we probably wouldn't be able to enjoy private ownership as much as we do without government-owned infrastructure.

In any case, while I think that there is a need for reform in the legal structures of ownership, I also believe there needs to be a cultural shift in our understanding of ownership, which is what I was suggesting in my entry. We need to re-imagine is what it means for us to own something and how we use our property. To what purpose? Are we only accountable to ourselves because we own it? Or are we also accountable to others? Is what we own actually a gift, a privilege granted to us by the public, rather than something that we earn? Should we rethink our ownership as stewardship for the community, for the public good, for future generations, and/or for God?

Joel GL said...

Leighcia-

Great post! I am a voluntaryist (see what this means on voluntaryist.com) which basically means "property-rights anarchist".

I agree with you that people need to manage property in a moral way, and there is a *whole* lot of immoral handling of property out there. But I disagree that the right to own/hold property is a "privilege granted to us", by anyone. I am willing to say "by God", but God is not any person or group of persons on this planet, therefore for all intents and purposes, property rights cannot be granted by any human being or group. If they cannot be granted by people, they must be "natural", meaning, flowing from my personhood.

The foundational building block of property rights is the body of an individual. I'm not going to try to prove that it's not physically possible for one person to actually control another person's body; but it is just common sense that because I am alive I have some fundamental rights, beginning with the right to control what happens to my body. I may have a *duty*, of some kind (contractual, familial, etc.), to *protect* someone else's body, but it is my right and my responsibility to protect my own life.

There are things that I control, outside my body. If I make clothes or make a mutually agreed upon exchange with someone, by which they will give me clothes, then I declare those clothes to be *my property*. They *pertain to me*. My unquestioned right to do what I just described is one of the most fundamental rights a human being can have. If you tamper with it, anything remotely resembling a free society cannot be sustained.

I can't help but notice that you actually spent most of your time in your post, talking about ownership as it pertains to corporations; that is a very astute place for you to focus a critical eye on. You brought up government charters for corporations, and some historical background on the chartering of corporations. But instead of saying, "Hey! Why do we have these monstrous 'private' entities that seem to disregard the public good, being 'given powers and privileges' by the government?", you seem take for granted that privileges to use private property is something "given" to people by the government, which itself is nothing but "people"-- i.e. they have no magic fairy dust that gives them a right or ability to determine what individuals should do with their property.

One of the main reasons that corporations seem so unaccountable and so irrational and destructive and inhuman, is (ironically enough) that during the 19th century some important judicial decisions were made which basically gave corporations the same rights (i.e. the stuff in the Bill of Rights) as human individuals. Think about that for a second.

But the bottom line, for a voluntaryist, is that governments ("states", technically speaking) are all about violence and coercion. They can't exist without coercively collecting taxes, and if they collect "taxes" without coercion (threat of force), they no longer fit the definition of "state". And the coercion extends to all areas of life under a government's "jurisdiction" ("law-saying"). Make no mistake; the fact that the state holds elections periodically does not change the fact that it is a coercive entity, which makes a decision that a portion of an individual's property is not actually theirs, but the government's. (Note: *not* "the public's"-- there is no entity we can point to called "the public", that we hold accountable. The government is just a special kind of company, which we collectively allow to take money from us and tell us what to do. If we didn't collectively do this, it wouldn't be able to do anything at all.)

This is already too long. Again, thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Tax evasion! And anyway, don't voluntaryism and neo-luddism go hand-in-hand? Without those government services that tax-paying makes possible, everyone lives purely for their own biological survival... out in the woods, in a cabin. Seems to put a lot of faith in the inherent goodness of people... which I don't see how anyone could believe in anymore