Monday, June 01, 2009

confession: I like clothes*

Question: Is it less superficial and materialistic to like clothes if I make them myself?

I’ve spent a lot of time recently altering and reconstructing thrift and consignment store clothing that I’ve purchased in the last few years. (In some ways, I’m on a permanent Wardrobe Refashion Pledge—I only buy used clothing). While this activity is a creative and technical process, it also conveniently gratifies my constant craving for new clothing.

I may escape some elements of shopaholism, but some minor (or major) spirit of clothing consumption still holds me captive.

In any case, I have been working on a blog post or series of blog posts relating to fashion and clothing, which may eventually see the light of the internet. As luck would have it, I got stopped on the street today, photographed in an awkward pose by SnapGlow TV from Philly.com because my outfit “was fantastic”. Now I am the laughing stock of my husband, if I wasn’t already.


* And I suppose I have to add purses and shoes to that list.
** The dress above was sewn by yours truly using Amy Buter's Lotus Dress pattern. Sewing your own clothing from new fabric is unfortunately not terribly economical. I probably spent $50 on the fabric for the dress, though there is plenty left-over. The pattern also cost about $10 or $15. Sewing clothing using fabric from thrift store clothing, however, can be quite budget-friendly.

2 comments:

annecara said...

Liking clothes isn't a bad thing - and no more materialistic than liking books, considering that clothes are necessary for daily life and books, strictly speaking, are not (although they certainly make life more interesting). And unless you plan to live a utilitarian lifestyle, I think it's probably a good idea to like the things you put on your body. So, then, I'm not sure why you term liking clothes as superficial; is it because it's stereotypically girly, or because it's not as intellectual as many of the other things you pursue?

l e i g h c i a said...

Thanks for your comment Anne Cara. To an extent, I do believe that you're correct-- clothes are necessary in our culture and daily life. I think... the question is... when does our concern for clothing cross from responsible care for our body and appearance and role in society to excessive obsession with appearances and material items. I'm not sure where that line is?

Arguably, nobody actually needs 15 skirts. I'm pretty sure I own atleast 15 skirts.

So perhaps a more appropriate tag line for the entry would be: "I like owning a lot of clothes" as opposed to just "I like clothes" :)