Thursday, April 23, 2009

I'm yellow!

and I like yellow butterflies

I have neglected this blog. I suffer from on average month-long writer’s block and this recent one has lasted longer than usual. Perhaps I’ve been distracted by more immediate things—work, house-buying ambivalence, obsessive knitting and hemming my ten gazillion skirts that are too long and hit me at the unflattering mid-calf length. Garbage in garbage out, so I suppose I can complain about nonprofit bureaucracy or ramble at length about the lengths of my dresses, but I won’t put you through that torture. That’s reserved for my husband (who is quite wonderful in case you were wondering).

Today I stumbled upon the Circle Ventures (somehow related to Circle of Hope church) blog post on white guilt concerning this history of the United States with regards to African Americans. It reminded me of how foreign America’s history is to me—the American Revolution, the westward expansion, the Civil War, the Great Depression, WWII, the Vietnam war – all this could be the history of another country. The history of my “nation” is a jumble of Communist and Cultural Revolution stories, the fall of the Berlin wall via our TV set in British Columbia (mildly upsetting because I wasn’t allowed to watch cartoons), Quebec separatism and a president south of the border notable for his extracurricular engagements. When I watch British or American period movies, I might as well be watching a movie about Sri Lanka, or Chile or Malawi.

My ethnicity, my family culture, whatever convenient label you might want to use, pops up in surprising but subtle ways. My husband and I have a now-resolved dispute about the “magic realism” in Garcia Marquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude (one of my favourite books by the way…), most notably the yellow butterflies that follow around a character in the novel. These yellow butterflies offend my husband’s rational, INTJ sensibilities! For him, they are excessive ornamental flourishes because insufficient information is given to determine what they might mean or symbolize. And I know of a few others who feel the same way. But for me, it completely makes sense that this magic is embedded in the way of narrating a story or of seeing reality and no explanation is needed. While my family did not subscribe to Chinese folk stories, my mother practiced Chinese medicine. In the world where I grew up, sticking needles in a person’s face can relieve paralysis, too much “yang” in my system caused my colds and feeling one’s pulse could discern temperaments and long-term illnesses. And for the most part, I hold that all of this is true. Not true in the Western, rational, scientific sense, but true in another sense. We believe in truths in different ways. And so the fact that the yellow butterflies in the Marquez’s novel didn’t mean anything per se, never bothered me, because it corresponded with my cultural hybrid way of seeing (I can’t believe I just used the word hybrid...).

It’s funny how I’ve come to embrace my Chinese-ness recently, as I generally dislike acknowledging my ethnic background. I’ll smile if someone asks me about China, but the moment someone says something along the lines of: “Maybe you do that because you’re Chinese”, the smile becomes forced and my irritation becomes palpable. I will stiffen even more if someone says something like “You need to understand how being Chinese impacts who you are.”

This annoyance may stem from reading far too many “What’s my identity” “I’m a hybrid” minority novels in college (some of which were actually excellent), but it is primarily a strong reaction against the expectation that I must understand who I am in the context of my ethnicity. White people are not confined to conceive of their identities in terms of their ethnicity, then why must ethnicity be my starting point? What if my race is not the defining characteristic of who I am? Why must we limit the driving factors of our formation to race, gender and class when there may be influences that matter far more?

But I’m lucky. Because though I might occasionally receive awkward comments and rude questions, I have not been significantly marginalized because of my ethnicity. Fortunately for me, the privileges of education and wealth were also handed down to me along with my skin colour at birth. And so I am here and not elsewhere. And this is who I am, not someone else. Mostly Canadian-American well-educated wealthy Christian but with bits of Chinese weaved into the holes.

~

There I did it! My crowning contribution to minority literature. New genre: Chinese Canadian American. CCA literature. Memoirs of my childhood amongst huckleberry bushes, chopsticks, francophones, and ice rinks. Maybe they will even have a CCA studies department!

9 comments:

Nicholas said...

A major area of growth for me over the last several years has been beginning to understand my identity within whiteness.

I don't think white people ought to be "confined to conceive of their identities in terms of their ethnicities" any less than other people. It's just that very often, by virtue of white culture being majority culture in America, they don't have the same kinds of experiences that people of other ethnicities face which force them to grapple with those questions.

Another thing that makes it less likely for white people to think this way is the homogenization that has occurred over the past three centuries in America. Originally, people weren't merely "white" but "German" or "Italian" or "Polish" or "Irish." I myself contain several European lineages (and some Puerto Rican besides), but don't identify strongly with any one of them. As a result of this blending, many white folks are left then without some of the markers of culture and tradition that develop over a longer period of time.

So in one way, talking about "white" culture is like talking about "Asian" culture - it's an amalgam about which some generalizations can be made, but it overlooks much complexity. The difference is that "white" has become intertwined with "American" and begun to take on an identity of its own.

Perhaps I'm rambling now. But you can see that these questions are indeed important to me, and I think questions of ethnicity should be important to most people.

M. Weed said...

Yo, I'm not sure my beef with Marquez has been fairly represented here. You made it sound like I crassly rejected 100YOS out of hand because I wasn't spoon-fed a Western allegory. If that were true, then I WOULD deserve to be ridiculed.

What I objected to was threefold:

1. The fact the the "flourishes" (a good word you chose) don't bear upon the direction of the narrative. The main characters seem oblivious to them (implied by "magic REALISM", duh) but further, totally UNAFFECTED by them. You could take 95% of that stuff out and the story would be intact. So they must be symbolic, right? But Marquez isn't dropping hints, and I don't know enough about Columbian history to be able to understand those symbols. Which brings me to:

2. The infuriating way that 20-something white girls just looooooooooove Marquez and think it is just sooooooooo beautiful that he weaves in so many wonderful images...... even though they have absolutely no clue how to interpret any of it. A lot of American readers seem to like basking in the aura of the novel without doing any of the serious interpretive work required to understand it on its own terms. As far as I can tell, this is driven by the same impulse that makes people travel overseas to exotic locations so that they can consume other cultures, without investing anything or sacrificing anything in return. It's literary marginalization, a subtle form of imperialism that doesn't elevate the hybrid experience, it denigrates it to some cheap, "ethnic food" experience that's no more than a daydream.

3. This is a problem because Marquez himself is elite and more like us than like "Them". Magic realism is a genre created by educated elitists in order to represent their "Other" background to the mainstream elite. There is potentially great value in this but it's also riddled with contradictions and conflicts of interest.

Linshuang, you get a pass because you and Marquez have a similar personal story -- and therefore, presumeably, similar internal dualities and tensions. It's intuitive for you, but shouldn't be for most other people.

M. Weed said...

By the way, if your "extracurricular" comment was a reference to Bill Clinton, then

L0L0L0ZL0Z0LRZRL0ZLR0ZRZZZ@!!11111

Brava.

jaeyde said...

Liked this post. Sadly, my brain is a little foggy so my only comment is just about 100 yrs of solitude, which I am *FINALLY* reading and well... verdict so far is that i like it, but it's definitely a bit on the creepy side if you take the time to pay attention the the symbolism (re matt's comment about swooning fangirls) and like matt, I think there's probably a big section of those symbols i'm not quite understanding.

that said, it's a breath of fresh air after i tried reading twilight on the principle that if i want to argue it's crap, i have to at least know what it is. i wanted to stab my eyes out. marquez, at the very least, rescued my brain from atrophy in that swamp of steaming.... er... yeah you get the idea.

T said...

Wait, I thought he was INTP. Do I remember that wrong or did he change on us?

M. Weed said...

I changed.

Rachel H said...

Do I sense sarcasm in your last sentence? ;)

I admit I shy away from writing about myself as a minority in the States. I would rather venture to learn about other minorities than my own history. It's definitely not easier but safer and with greater space between myself and my observations.

l e i g h c i a said...

Rachel- yes, there's something disconcerting about having yourself or your own culture as an object of study.

Anonymous said...

The butterflies symbolize death.