Sunday, January 25, 2009

subjecthood vs. objecthood

towards an ethic of integrity
(unfinished*)

I’ve ranted for quite some time about the need for integrity in our professional lives, which has become more evident with the recent economic crisis. Our society has functioned by obeying the letter of the law, with no regard for its spirit. We do what is legal, not what is right.

Martin Buber, a Jewish theologian, provides a principle that may be used to establish a framework of integrity. He describes two modes of relating with word pairs in his book I and Thou. The word pair “I-You” “establishes the world of relation”, which involves encountering the other as a subject, whereas the word pair “I-It” treats the other as an object, a thing to be experienced. This can apply to any sort of relationship, including between human and nature, and between human and God. In Buber's words:

The Life of human beings is not passed in the sphere of transitive verbs alone. It does not exist in virtue of activities alone which have some thing for their object.
I perceive something. I am sensible of something. I imagine something. I will something. I feel something. I think something. The life of human beings does not consist of all this and the like alone.
This and the like together establish the realm of It.
But the realm of Thou has a different basis.
When Thou
is spoken, the speaker has no thing for his object. For where there is a thing there is another thing. Every It is bounded by others; It exists only through being bounded by others. But when Thou is spoken, there is no thing. Thou has no bounds.
When
Thou is spoken, the speaker has no thing; he has indeed nothing. But he takes his stand in relation.

Buber’s "I-Thou" relation suggests Jesus’ bold command to “Love your neighbour as yourself.” To love another as ourselves, we must first behold another as ourselves, not just another thing to serve us. (And Buber later suggests that the “I” in the “I-It’ relationship is not as fully “I” as the “I” in the “I-Thou” relationship. To be fully “I”, we must fully behold “Thou”)

Our modern life is ordered to maximize the “I-It’ relationships and to avoid the discomfort of “I-Thou”. We buy from anonymous employees of large multi-national corporations, sit in front of the plasma screen to receive our daily dose of information and entertainment and travel by enclosed climate-controlled vehicles. Commodification is the theme of our generation and perhaps its most insidious impact is not obscuring people with things, but turning people into things. And as such, we have lost integrity in the professional world and failed to nurture authenticity in life.

How would this past year differ if we had aimed to treat others as subjects, instead of objects in our professional life? "I-Thou" instead of "I-It". The recognition of a common humanity, of the image of God.

Yet the implementation of “I-Thou” does not merely entail treating people we encounter extra nicely, it goes deeper. To fully redeem relations between people, social institutions that structure the relationships between people also require reform. “I-Thou” relationships cannot be created by some elusive ideal social institution, they ultimately require personal transformations. But institutions can be structured to enable “I-Thou” relationships to be more easily established and realized. Could slave-owners, even the really nice ones, truly have been in an “I-Thou” relationship with one of their slaves? Could a CEO making millions of dollars a year truly treat a minimum wage worker in his company as a “Thou”? Could I ever treat a homeless man on the street as a “Thou” rather than an “It”? We do not meet each other in a vacuum—an entire societal structure props up our encounters.

Whether we are traditionals who don’t want to throw out the baby with the bath water, or revolutionaries who’d like to burn everything, or reformers who value gradual change, we should seek to reshape society, its culture and its institutions, so that “I-Thou” can flourish, and integrity and virtue can be recovered.


* I keep a Word document on my computer named dl_MONTH with unfinished blog entries. “DL” stands for “delete later,” suggesting that I will finish using the notes and delete the document. Scrolling through my unwieldy 24-page document, I find this prospect unlikely and am contemplating a less misleading name for the document. In any case, I am attempting to polish up and post some of these unfinished blog entries and atleast reduce the number of pages in the file. Funny enough, I recall having tried this once before without much success—the more reliable alternative is to save the unfinished “DL” file as BlogIdeas_2008 and start a new file called DL. Rinse and repeat!

5 comments:

Jonathan said...

Ha. I have about 50 half-written blog entries, plus at least that many notes to myself reminding myself of ideas that I want to develop and write about. Not to mention the blog posts that express half-finished ideas, and that beg me to spend weeks formalizing them in mathematical models.

I often find myself writing a post and trying to reference an earlier post, only to realize that I didn't end up finishing the post I want to reference.

Sorry, I'm easily distracted by footnotes. On the subject at hand -- I think you make a very good point with this bit:

"To fully redeem relations between people, social institutions that structure the relationships between people also require reform.... institutions can be structured to enable “I-Thou” relationships to be more easily established and realized.... We do not meet each other in a vacuum—an entire societal structure props up our encounters."

We as a society generally think of certain relationships as "economic" in nature while others are "social" or "personal." We tend to believe that our institutions necessarily and properly regulate the former, but that the the latter should be wholly free. A sort of inter-personal individualistic mentality, wherein there is a stark separation between the institutions that regulate wealth, and those that regulate social relationships.

I disagree with this distinction, and it seems that you do as well, albeit probably in a somewhat different way. I also think this is related to Stef's post on freedom.

jaeyde said...

I really enjoyed this post. The book you mentioned sounds interesting. All kind of related to an area of thought that is close to my heart.

I have trouble relating to discussions of sweatshops, perhaps because I have no experience with them or with anything like them, yet this issue of disconnectedness and the idea that our problem is in a large part due to confusing objects and subjects, me and you versus me and it, makes total sense to me. And in a strange way it helps me understand why sweatshop discussions are hard for me - they're clearly in the place of it in my thoughts, whereas to care about them in a way that is meaningful we must return to the persons. [and typing that helped me process how this is all connected to ethics in the corporate realm]

Thank you for the post :)

M said...

I'm a friend of Amani's. We were talking about this subject so she linked me here. Well done.

l e i g h c i a said...

Jonathan-- I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with half-finished blog posts! Thanks for also pointing out the way that our society distinguishes between different relationships and institutions. Our society does have a tendency to try to compartmentalize aspects of our life, as though they didn't affect each other.

l e i g h c i a said...

Amani - Thanks for your comment... It is important to return the person (like Merton's Letter to a Young Activist), and it's easy to get lost in thinking too much about the system, the institution etc... Would love to hear some more of your thoughts on the sweatshop issue...

M - Thanks for your comment!