Tuesday, August 19, 2008

how to identify a hipster*

that is if you care…

In the movie Adaptation (starring Nicolas Cage and Meryl Streep), New Yorker magazine writer Susan Orlean ends up in an affair with John LaRoche, an unlikely match given that he lacked the sophistication and cosmopolitanism of her usual circle of friends, who seemed rather concerned about hosting interesting dinner parties and mocking others. Perhaps what drew Susan to John was precisely what her group of worldly and successful friends did not possess—a passion for something. Susan notes in the movie: I suppose I do have one unembarrassed passion. I want to know what it feels like to care about something passionately.

If I were to find a distinguishing characteristic that would separate a hipster from someone who is not, that is what it would be. Someone who cares passionately, genuinely and sincerely about something other than themselves is not part of this death movement of Western civilization.

And sometimes I find myself precariously on the edge of that distinction—as noted in my profile, I have many “hip” interests, amongst which are riding bikes, buying thrift shop clothing, listening to independent music, knitting and sewing. In addition, I live in a trendy neighborhood and work for a nonprofit. I don’t think I am cool, but no hipster ever admits to being one.**

But what troubles me most is how hard it can be for me to care passionately about something. There are definitely people/themes/ideas that spark my care—urban poverty, labor injustice, food economics, sex trafficking and immigration. However, it’s been hard to turn those moments of thought and emotion into more concrete and consistent action, especially in a society that writes off those who care passionately about something as obsessive and extreme (perhaps we do this so that we don’t need to confront how meaningless our lives actually are). Our society preaches moderation, balancing passions with security so that we can live in guilt-free comfort.

But I know that Jesus called his disciples to abandon their fishing nets (their livelihood), and rely upon him, without the security around which they had built their former lives. And in knowing this, in my comfortable post-college life, I find myself craving something to care about passionately.

So I hope this time of unrealized good intentions will be an incubating period for a more defined passion. Of the many things that I could be (the existential crisis afforded to me by my privilege and education), I would like to be something other than hip. I want to commit myself passionately to something, so that I can live for more than just myself, or rather, so that I can be part of something that is greater than myself. And I guess therein lies the answer, I can start by caring passionately (once again) about God, and maybe everything else will fall into place.



* You might also try the book Field Guide to the Urban Hipster (a little outdated now though as the book's usage of the category hipster is more broad)
** Consider for instance this conversation, from the Adbusters article:
Standing outside an art-party next to a neat row of locked-up fixed-gear bikes, I come across a couple girls who exemplify hipster homogeneity. I ask one of the girls if her being at an art party and wearing fake eyeglasses, leggings and a flannel shirt makes her a hipster.
“I’m not comfortable with that term,” she replies.
Her friend adds, with just a flicker of menace in her eyes, “Yeah, I don’t know, you shouldn’t use that word, it’s just…”
“Offensive?”
“No… it’s just, well… if you don’t know why then you just shouldn’t even use it.”
“Ok, so what are you girls doing tonight after this party?”
“Ummm… We’re going to the after-party.”

5 comments:

M. Weed said...

another trendy interest you have is blogging.

oh, and FIRST

Nicholas said...

Agreed, especially on your last point: God first, and in some sense God only.

Rachel H said...

I'm usually afraid to show my interests too passionately...because I do care about what other people think of me, especially in the work place when often people can not easily disassociate one's work from one's social/religious/political beliefs. Can we really disassociate?

M. Weed said...

I don't think we should have to disassociate. If we force people into a state of fragmentation because we only accept part of them, how can we then turn around and lecture people about how they need to "think more holistically" to achieve well-being?

If I don't do my work BECAUSE of my beliefs, then how can my work ever be meaningful? We spend an awful lot of time fighting against the very integration that could help create some meaning in our toil. All because we're afraid of what some other people MIGHT think.

Hipsters are just an exaggerated parody of a trait that 99% of us exhibit.

l e i g h c i a said...

Rachel, I agree with Matt. We are being forced to disassociate ourselves in order to make the working environment “pleasant” for everyone (not to mention boring). But I don’t think we should completely disassociate ourselves? The question is how to integrate our faith with our work, not how to separate it. I don’t think that means blabbing about Jesus in every conversation, but probably does involve acting with integrity (as opposed to professionalism) and speaking genuinely, honestly and lovingly about your interests.

On a side note, I think in today’s consumer society, there can be something incredibly refreshing about someone who cares passionately about something (Take Susan Orlean's attraction to John LaRoche for instance). But we also take the risk that everyone else will think we’re crazy.