Sunday, January 14, 2007

i'm a cliche

consultant bio continued...

I just recently realized that I'm a walking cliche. I'm a consultant in New York City. I knit. I'm 'into poor people'. I'm dating a guy in a rock band. I listen to obscure independent and international music. I like artsy movies. I've traveled to some not-so-common places like Honduras and Argentina.

I'm your cliche young professional/recent graduate, high-powered ready-to-climb-corporate-ladder by day and trying-hard-to-be-interesting by night.

Am I someone who, because she works the same job that everyone else in New York works, obsessively tries to amass 'interesting' points via her after-hours activities?

...or, am I someone who is trying to learn to love the poor because Jesus identifies with the poor (and who doesn't succeed all that often), who likes to knit because it's enjoyable to do manual labor and to create something with one's own hands. and who, despite the overlooming shadow of financial instability, really loves the guy in the rock band?

7 comments:

M. Weed said...

Well, I hope the latter, not the former.

l e i g h c i a said...

you're biased

adaraleigh said...

i also hope the latter and not the former, and i'm not as biased as m. weed is.

i dont know. i'm dating a guy who wants to quit his really stable job in two years so he can write screenplays.

did you know that ang lee was unemployed for ten years? that worked out pretty okay =)

l e i g h c i a said...

i guess that's one of the ways you're able to tell what's reallly inside:

are you able to give up the really stable/climb-the-corporate-hierarchy job if giving that up allows you to do what you really love to do (aka, what is 'interesting')?

Anonymous said...

I feel fairly confident of the latter.

Are you worried about your image or are you worried that you're worried about your image?

Anonymous said...

add self-absorbed to your list

l e i g h c i a said...

isn't that a given? aren't all bloggers self-absorbed?